Stay safe, we are thinking of everyone in our school community.
The Government has taken the decision that all schools will be closed from the end of the day today, Friday 20 March. They will remain closed until further notice, except for some vulnerable children and children of parents or carers who are critical workers and who absolutely need to send their child to school. This is a key part of the Government's measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus (Covid-19).
Government's advice is that if children can stay safely at home, they should, to limit the chance of the virus spreading. They have set out the following key principles:
- If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be.
- If a child needs specialist support, is vulnerable or has a parent or carer who is a critical worker who cannot look after their child in any other way, then educational provision will be available for them.
- Parents should not rely for childcare upon those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions.
- Parents should also do everything they can to ensure children are not mixing socially in a way which can continue to spread the virus. They should observe the same social distancing principles as adults.
- Residential special schools, boarding schools and special settings continue to care for children wherever possible.
It is crucial that all parents who are critical workers act responsibly and make every effort to find ways of their children staying at home where they can. At the same time the country needs them to be at work which is why the Government is asking schools to stay open for their children where that is absolutely necessary. If they work part-time they should only send children to school on days they are working.
Children are being encouraged to keep learning, to keep healthy and to fill their time productively. Schools will inform parents of arrangements made to enable learning to continue while the school is closed.