Skip to content ↓
How does Northern Parade Schools know if children need extra help?  

At Northern Parade Schools children are identified as having SEN through a variety of ways including the following:-

  • Liaison with preschools/nurseries and previous schools
  • Child performing below age expected levels
  • Concerns raised by Parent
  • Concerns raised by a teacher, for example, behaviour or self-esteem is affecting performance
  • Liaison with external agencies i.e. physical
  • Health diagnosis through paediatrician/doctor
What is an Individual SEN Support Plan?  

If your child is on the SEN register they may have an Individual SEN Support Plan which will have individual targets. These are spoken about on a termly basis at parents evening and parents are given a copy of the IEP. The targets set are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time scaled) targets with the expectation that the child will achieve the target by the time it is reviewed. When the child’s ISSP is reviewed comments are made against each target to show what progress the child has made. If the child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach may be tried to ensure the child does make progress.

What is a Statement of SEN?  

If your child has complex SEND they may have a Statement of SEN, which means that a formal meeting will take place to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written. This Statement of SEN is reviewed annually and parents/carers and all professionals working with that child are invited to attend and discuss your child’s needs. 

What is an Education Health and Care Plan?  

Education, Health and Care Plans replaced Statements of SEN in September 2014. If your child had a Statement of SEN these with be converted in to a Education, Health and Care Plan within the next few years. A Education, Health and Care plan is a single, simpler birth to 25 years assessment process that has statutory protection and gives parents the right to apply for a personal budget for their support. 

What should I do if I think my child has a Special Educational Need?  

Talk to us – firstly contact your child’s class teacher. If you require more information contact our Inclusion Manager.

We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents. We are open and honest with parents and hope that they are able to be the same with us.

How will Northern Parade Schools support my child?  

Our Inclusion Manager and SENCo oversee all support and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school. The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. There may be a Teaching Assistant (TA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group; if this is seen as necessary by the class teacher. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to parents when the support starts.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?  

All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access according to their specific needs. Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be three different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated. The benefit of this type of differentiation is that all children can access a lesson and learn at their level.

How do we know if my child is making progress?  

By reviewing children’s targets on ISSPs and ensuring they are being met The child is making progress academically against national/age expected levels and the gap is narrowing – they are catching up to their peers or expected age levels. Verbal feedback from the teacher, parent and pupil.

Children may move off of the SEN register when they have ‘caught up’ or made sufficient progress.

How will I know how my child is doing?  

The class teacher will meet with parents at Parents Evenings twice a year. This is an opportunity to discuss your child’s needs, support and progress. If you require more information or advice, further meetings can be arranged.

We offer an open door policy where you are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or Inclusion Manager and discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home and can contact other services that offer home support.

We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs.

How will my child be able to share their views?  

We value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life. This is usually carried out through the School Council which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised.

Children who have ISSPs discuss and set their targets with their class teacher. If your child has a Education Health and Care Plan, their views will be sought before any review meetings.

How will Northern Parade support my child’s overall wellbeing?  

We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being. We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.

The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be the parents’ first point of contact. If further support is required the class teacher liaises with the Inclusion Manager or SENCo for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Services, and/or the Behaviour Support Team.

The school also has an ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) who works under the direction of the Inclusion Manager, with vulnerable children during the school day.
The school has a policy regarding the administration and managing of medicines on the school site. Parents need to contact the school office if medication is required to ensure a child’s good health i.e medicine for life threatening conditions such as asthma and diabetes. On a day to day basis our first aid trained support staff generally oversee the administration of such medicines. These staff can administer prescribed medicine if it is needed four times day or more. Parents need to make arrangements to personally administer medicines that are not prescribed and required less than four times a day if necessary.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by Northern Parade Schools?  

Our Inclusion Manager is fully qualified and accredited.

Our Teaching Assistants are all qualified and regularly attend training sessions to expand their skills. We are proud to be the home of a sensory impairment resource and have highly trained staff to work with hearing impaired and visually impaired pupils.

As a school we work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual children’s needs within our school including: Behaviour Intervention (Multi Agency Behaviour Support or Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (MABS/CAMHS); Health including – GPs, school nurse, paediatricians, speech & language therapists; occupational therapists; social services including social workers and Educational Psychologists.

How will my child be included on school trips?  

All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.

A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.

How accessible is the school environment?  

The school site is wheelchair accessible with a disabled toilet and shower. The main areas of the school are labelled in a clear font and with braille. In the playgrounds there are yellow markings to highlight potential hazards to visually impaired individuals. We liaise with the Ethnic Minority Achievement Service (EMAS) who assist us in supporting our families with English as an additional language.

How will Northern Parade Schools prepare my child for transition?  

We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting when they will be shown around the school. For children with SEND we would encourage further visits to assist with the familiarisation with the new surroundings. These can be arranged in liaison with the feeder schools.

We write social stories that include relevant photos with children if transition is potentially going to be difficult. We have a week of transition before the summer holidays where all pupils go to their new year group and have lessons in their new class with their new class teacher (when possible).

When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically to go to Secondary education, we arrange additional visits. Many of our ‘feeder’ secondary schools run a programme specifically tailored to aid transition for the more vulnerable pupils.

We liaise closely with Staff when receiving and transferring children to different schools ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood. If your child has complex needs then an Education Health and Care plan review will be used at a transition meeting during which we will invite staff from both schools to attend.

How are Northern Parade Schools’ funds allocated to match my child’s needs?  

We ensure that the needs of all children who have Special Educational needs are met to the best of the school’s ability with the funds available. We have a team of TAs who are funded from the SEN budget and deliver programmes designed to meet groups of children’s needs. The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support, often involving a TA, and will be prioritised in the event of staff absence.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?  

The class teacher alongside the Inclusion Manager or SENCo will discuss the child’s needs and what support would be appropriate. Different children will require different levels of support in order to bridge the gap to achieve age expected levels. This will be through on-going discussions with parents.

In the case of children with a Education Health and Care Plan, the level of support and individual targets are laid out within the Education Health and Care Plan. During the year, the Classteacher and Inclusion Manager will work together to review provision and ensure it is being provided. There is a formal review of the Education Health and Care Plan and the Annual Review where the targets are discussed alongside specialist advisors and parents. However the Education Health and Care Plan can be discussed and informally reviewed with the Classteacher and Inclusion Manager throughout the year.

What support is there for improving behaviour, attendance and avoiding exclusion?  

As a school we have a very positive approach to all types of behaviour with a clear reward and sanction system that is followed by all staff and pupils. If a child has behavioural difficulties a Pastoral Support Plan (PSP) is written alongside the child and Parents to identify the specific issues, put relevant support in place and set targets.

After any behaviour incident we expect the child to reflect on their behaviour with an adult. This helps to identify why the incident happened and what the child needs to do differently next time to change and improve their behaviour. Attendance of every child is monitored on a daily basis by the Admin department. Lateness and absence are recorded and reported upon to the Senior Assistant Headteacher. Good attendance is actively encouraged throughout the school and rewarded on a termly basis as is improvement in attendance. Families who struggle with attendance and lateness are urged to contact the Inclusion Manager or SENCo who can advise on strategies and contact outside agencies who could offer at home support.

What should I do if I feel that the School Offer is not being delivered or is not meeting my child’s needs?  

Your first point of contact would be your child’s classteacher to share your concerns. You could also arrange to meet Mrs Elliott our Inclusion Manager or Miss Rollings our SENCo.

You may also want to look at the SEND Policy and SEND information report. Finally for external support and advice, you may also consider contacting Portsmouth Parent Voice or the SEN team at Portsmouth City Council (PCC). Our Inclusion Manager can provide contact details for these organisations and they are also available in the useful links section.

Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join Northern Parade Schools? 

Contact the school Admin office to arrange to visit the school. Attend one of our open days where you can see the school offer in action. Make an appointment with our Inclusion Manager or SENCo, who would willingly discuss how the school could meet your child’s needs.

When will the school offer be reviewed?  

This local offer will be reviewed annually to reflect the changing needs of the children who join and are developing in our school. Part of this review process will involve contributions from parents and parent feedback.